CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Sarah Starts Growth Hormone

My oldest daughter Sarah has Turner's Syndrome . She hasn't fallen off of the growth chart yet, but she is holding on by a thread. Now what is great about that, is that most girls her age (10 years old) who have Turners haven't been on the growth chart for a while. So my hope is that with this treatment, she will be at least 5'2.

Yesterday was our appointment to meet with the rep from Lilly to show us how to mix and administer the growth hormone, Humatrope, to Sarah. She was very excited and nervous at the same time. I was watching Julia, since all the girls are off from school, so whole brood came with me.

It was kinda intimidating. She showed me how to mix the medicine, there's all these steps, then you have to let it sit for 3 min. and if you see bubbles then that is fine, but if you see dandruff like flakes in it, set it down for another 5 min and check it again. If the flakes are still there then call Lilly. No flakes, then it's fine to use.

Felecia (Lilly Rep) was very nice. When it came time for the shot, Felicia asked if Sarah wanted to give herself the shot or have me do it, she opted for me doing it. So we asked where she wanted the shot, Sarah decided she wanted it done in her leg. So I go to give her the shot and she pulls away and tells me she doesn't want to do it anymore. I asked if she remembered wanting to jump off of the diving board at the pool and how she agonized over jumping in; then I asked her if she remembered how she felt after she jumped the first time? Trying to show here, that it's just the fear of the unknown. Felicia even bet her a dollar that it would not hurt. She told her that each patient she taught she bet a dollar and she hadn't lost a bet yet. Well after some coddling and a little bit of bullying I finally got it done. With tears in her eyes after I had given her the shot, Felicia asked her if she owed Sarah the dollar and Sarah tearfully said no.

As we were leaving Sarah said she wanted to give herself the shot the following day, but she hasn't done it. But she will, eventually. I just can't wait to see her grow, and be closer to kids her age in height.

2 comments:

CircesMagic said...

You and your girls are in my thoughts, I hope everything works out!

Unknown said...

This is the first time I've ever posted a comment but I wanted to tell you that I'm there with you! My oldest daugther turned 16 in January and was only diagnosed with Turner's last February. I have been injecting her with growth hormone pretty much every night since May but to my delight she has grown 4.5cm and is now 147cm and still growing. She has now started on oestrogen tablets. Its a long hard road but seeing growth is so worth it, especially for their self esteem.